Of course, the lastest bit of that rain has been going non-stop since the wee hours of morning, so no garden work for me today. Instead, I’m nursing my cold, eating fresh, warm pumpkin muffins, and trying to figure out what to do with Hank. Hank is the rotund groundhog that’s set up shop under our shed sometime over the last few weeks. Hank needs a new home, but since he’s not likely to go willingly, I first need a trap. Early this morning, though, as I watched him waddle toward the garden (such a cute little waddle!) through Moose’s window, I wanted nothing more than a gun. I fully believe that almost all creatures are part of the natural cycle of life in which my garden lives, but I also watched my grandfather spend pretty much every summer I can remember trying to keep the critters from his garden. I need those plants for my family to eat, and it will be far better for both Hank and me if he just sticks to a diet of grass and weeds.
Meanwhile, what’s my diet been like? I got the dreaded “so, what can you eat?” question last week upon divulging Moose’s allergies, so I’ve decided to keep track of our food for a week. Want a peek?
Monday, May 16
- Breakfast – Buckwheat pancakes with fresh strawberries and chocolate chips, with immune-boosting tea for me
- Lunch – Coconut milk yogurt with strawberries and granola
- Dinner – Barbequed chicken leg quarters, roasted root veggies, and green beans, with fresh-squeezed lemonade to drink
Tuesday, May 17
- Pre-breakfast snack for Moose while I baked -- Dry cereal with rice milk and a handful of dried tart cherries
- Breakfast -- pumpkin muffins, with immune-boosting tea for me and apple-cinnamon tea for Moose
- Lunch – Leftover root veggies and iced red raspberry leaf tea with honey
- Dinner (planned) – Beef cubes and gravy served over brown rice with fresh baby portabellos and leftover green beans on the side
Not too shabby, huh? I do tend to get lazy and make up big batches of things so that I can freeze some or use it for leftovers, but good food is good food even two days in a row! Meanwhile, I ask you: What can you eat?