Sunday, August 25, 2013

In which our heroine wonders how much is enough

I've just spent the better part of an episode of Doctor Who trying to find printables or otherwise put together a plan for an animal book.  Moose has been learning about animals for the last three weeks, and physically speaking, we have nothing to show for it.  "Regular" preschools seem to have buckets of paperwork to send home.  We've been easing into this school thing, mostly talking and exploring, then doing deskwork when he feels like it.

Still, it would be nice to have something for him to look at and to help him recall what he's learned.  I made a set of cards with photographs of animals on them, and among other things, they've been great for sorting games.  We've sorted by classifications (mammal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, insect), and for that we can simply put the cards into piles.  For learning about habitats this week, however, I'd hoped to have full page backgrounds of each habitat for us to sort onto.  I also wanted to put together an animal book, but I'm having trouble deciding what to do with it since Moose can't read yet.

What to do, what to do?  Is there a point?  I'll still likely to a weather book for next month, since there's more I can do with pictures alone as well as keeping track of our little weather station.   I'm trying very hard, however, to not get pulled into doing things with him simply because I feel I ought to.

Repeat after me:  We weren't planning on doing any schooling until kindergarten anyway.  This year is all for fun and to get our feet wet.

I just hope that's good enough for everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment